Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Five things about Amsterdam. Previous title: Unexpected beauty in Amsterdam

Yes. I love photography.

At this moment I study at the Amsterdamse Fotovakschool and get very inspired. I want to professionalize my art and am working hard on it.

Up until this year I would only take photo's during my travels. I have a giant stock of about 30 beautiful countries, but now I have started to look beyond the obvious and learn to create a beautiful setting to photograph.

on top of the bicycle flat
The world was always my favourite "location" and everybody in it could be my "model".
in front of the bus personnel's office
This weekend, for the first time, I chose my location nearby and invited my beautiful friend Jalida to model for me. I am very proud of the results.

on the free ferry crossing the Y canal.
When people first come to Amsterdam they expect to see three things.
top floor of the Noorderlicht café
One. The red light district. A short stroll from Central Station and instant satisfaction. In many ways. Shocking for many, how prostitutes try to lure you in from behind a thin layer of glass that their shop window is. (Knock, knock... psst, how much? Fifty euro's? That's very cheap... for a double glass window!) All this sex and temptation is set amidst picturesque 17th century canals and around the Old Church and University. Overwhelming. Don't make it worse.. but. If you must...

in front of the Greenpeace boat
Two. Coffeeshops. Beware. Dutch pre-rolled joints are much stronger than what you may be used to from your local wannabe dealer so handle with care. Soft drugs have become harder over the last decade. High quality stuff that can keep you stoned for days. And if you want just a coffee with some cake... take very little bites. Space cake works very slowly and long.
on the horizon the Amsterdam West power plant
Three. Canals. And the Anne Frank house. That is along the Prinsengracht. One of the main canals surrounding the city centre. Instant satisfaction again. Right in front of CS you take a boatride on the canals. More in front of Anne Franks house or let the boat take you to your next main point of interest, the Vincent van Gogh museum. Here you can also find the now famous I Amsterdam sign. Get in line an take a nice photo. Amsterdam is so easy to please...
But. For more unexpected beauty, turn the other way! Look north my friend. Taking a free ferry from Central Station across the IJ will bring you to the former NDSM docks and docklands. A wild and deserted industrial area where young urban artists have had their way with the elements and smart entrepreneurs have set up tantalizing restaurants.

interesting "bakfiets" standing around
Where ever you look, there is a photo opportunity. And it's the perfect place for a photo shoot! You don't even need a good looking Kenyan-Dutch photo model friend. (It does help though.)

Want to see the larger size photograph, just click on it. Once again... there is plenty more where this came from. Tag along and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment