Friday, July 30, 2010

Tokyo Nights

This is quite a weird experience.

Am typing this post from an overnight Internet Cafe in Tokyo.

Last night I spent in the Capsule Riverside hotel. Where all you get is a round capsule of about 2m by 50 cm-square. But then again, nothing much different from a bunkbed in a dorm anywhere in the back-packers world. Lest this one is made up of plastic and has an integrated TV, so you have to dug when youre getting in. Best thing about it was the top floor bathing room, Onzen, overlooking the Tokyo River! Including a real hot shared (men only) sauna and large hot tub. So before bedtime I got very nice and clean.
This morning, on my quest for a better place to stay, it was raining and the reception lent me a lousy umbrella. All normal, affordable, guesthouses were fully booked. Tomorrow is a big fire-works festival is what must be the problem here. Coming back to the riverside place i found out I had to check out by 10 am and couldnt check in any more until 3pm... so I put my luggage in the free locker room and headed off into town. Strolling and strolling. Using the river cruise, monorail, subway and JR (Japan Railway) trains to hop around. Checked out the Tokyo Design show and the Science Centre before I went to the hip and happening Harayuku area where I bumped into one of those famed all-night internet places, Alpha Harajuku. Here you can stay in a small room, larger than a capsule though, inlcuding free use of internet, dvds and bedsheets. Singles or doubles. With a large chair or mat. I chose the latter option to stay overnight after I had a short but cute encounter wiht Mayu, the only Japanese girl I know, whom I once met in the Okavango Delta in Botswana, of all places.
So here I am. Tempted to work on my blogs all night and taking a rest to nap or watch a DVD or the Dutch News on "Uitzending gemist". Will see what will happen. All in all, I am (finally) starting to like Tokyo. This place looks like a little office, really.
Worth mentioning is that Mayu actually treated me on a real Japanese feast in one of those eateries that never usually sees a blond haired bloke. The tempura frogs were a bit boney, but the Japanese Beef Spare Ribs were delicious!
Wondering how much sleep I will get, since everyone else here is typing e-mails or watching DVDs as well, and there is a nice mellow background tune that will surely be playing all night.
Tomorrow this place even offers a shower, which will be very nice before (and after...) I head off to the giant Fish Market and later on to the fire works, that I may watch from the balcony at the Riverside Bathing penthouse...

To be continued!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment